Life in Prague, Living in Prague, Visa

BREXIT: What you need to know as a British citizen in the Czech Republic

Do you have this tiny voice in your head saying you should get legal in the Czech Republic before Brexit? Do you want to know what your rights as a British citizen in the Czech Republic are once Brexit happens?

The Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic has finally released a statement on Brexit, we’ve read it for you and here’s what you need to know.

Since negotiations are still underway, nobody actually knows what will happen next. What we do know, however, is that it is better for British expats in the Czech Republic to arrange their temporary residency or permanent residence permit (or Czech citizenship) as soon as possible, so as to avoid the hassle of proving they reside in the Czech republic after Brexit happens. Most probably you will have the right to stay in the country, but, as the saying goes, better to be safe than sorry!

Here comes the official statement of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic in connection to the British citizens living in the Czech Republic, who intent to reside here after Brexit:

“Recommendation of the Ministry of the Interior to British citizens in connection with Brexit

On 29 March 2019, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will leave the European Union. According to the current draft agreement, a transitional period is foreseen until the end of 2020. The draft agreement assumes that UK citizens residing in the EU, until the end of the transitional period, will retain their existing rights. At the same time, we note that the negotiations on the exit agreement are currently not concluded and that the transition period will only take place if the agreement is ratified by both parties in time and comes into force before the above date.

For reasons of legal certainty, time savings, and for the sake of avoiding more complicated administrative procedures in the future, we strongly recommend that all UK citizens residing in the Czech Republic who want their rights to be retained after the date of the UK’s exit from the European Union issue of a temporary residence certificate. A temporary residence permit is not a prerequisite for an EU citizen to stay in the Czech Republic, so it is left to him/her whether or not to issue this confirmation, but this document clearly demonstrates that the holder is a UK citizen who resided in the Czech Republic before date of the United Kingdom’s exit in the European Union. A UK citizen who will not have any residency entitlement after the end of the transitional period will have to prove that he is subject to the rules contained in the exit agreement in another, much more complex way. […]”

How to apply for a temporary or permanent residence in Prague? These are the documents you will need:

  • application form
  • a travel document 
  • a document confirming the purpose of the stay
  • 1 photograph
  • proof of travel medical insurance (unless you are employed or self-employed here)
  • proof of accommodation.All documents should be in the Czech language, originals and not older than 180 days. To apply, go to your office of the MOI according to your place of registration, wait the queue, and wait 30 (sometimes more) days to pick it up. 

Still wondering whether to get your documents done?? With our help, the only thing you will need is a visit to our office! Drop us a message in the contact form 🙂 

Are you still living in the UK and planning to leave? Move to Prague, the Czech Republic, now: in the heart of Europe, Prague, with its cobblestone streets and beautiful historical buildings, the lowest unemployment rate in Europe and a vibrant atmosphere, is the place to be for expats! Get in touch with us to find out more



  • As A UK passport holder with Full Czech residence. Can I apply for duel nationality, thus retaining my UK citizenship?

    • Hi Paul,

      Thanks for your comment.

      Well, it is hard to advice if we do not know anything about your case.

      In general though – you can apply for Czech citizenship after holding the permanent residence permit for 5 years (so usually approximatelly 10 years of living here in total). You have to pass language and history exams, show that you have been earning enough, etc.

      Czech Republic allows dual citizenships so if UK allows the same, you can keep both passports 🙂

      Hope this helps 🙂 If you need a more detailed information, I recommend you to get in touch with us for a consultation.

      Have a great day!

      Jan on behalf of the whole team! 🙂

  • Hi there – I currently have a temporary residence permit as has my wife. However, she has recently had to have her UK passport renewed, and I seem to recall that someone mentioned that her residence permit should therefore also be renewed, (as the number on the residence permit no longer is the same as her current, renewed passport) – can you confirm if this is the case?
    (We have been resident here, in Prague, since October 2012).
    Thanks for your guidance,

    • Hi Neil,

      Thank you for your comment.

      You recall well 🙂 All the similar changes (change of passport, change of name, change of marital status, change or renewal of your leasse) must be reported to the MOI within certain amount of time (either 3 or 30 days, depending on the change).

      You basically just need to go to the branch of the MOI which is responsible for your district and report the changes there.

      Please let us know if we can help you with that 🙂

      Thank you and have a lovely day!

      Move To Prague relocation experts

  • Great!! – thanks for the advice.
    We are currently, and have always, resided at Zelena 440, Statenice, 252 62, whilst living in the Czech Republic – can you plesae advise which branch of the MOI we should go to?

    Thanks again,


  • hi i have lived in the UK since the 1999 and just what to ask if the brexit will effect me in any way? also i have a residence permit that dost not have a expiry date on

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *